Recommendations on how martyrs should “act, pretend and mask” themselves, as excerpted from Military Studies in the Jihad Against the Tyrants:
• No beards or other Islamic characteristics.
• Do not speak loudly or otherwise draw attention to yourself.
• Do not address others with traditional Islamic greetings in which Allah’s name is invoked.
• Do not cause trouble in your neighborhood.
• Do not park in no-parking zones.
• Do not live near police stations.
• Do not appear to be overly inquisitive.
• Burn letters immediately after reading them and get rid of the ashes, too.
• Rent apartments “in newly developed areas where people don’t know each other.”
• Use codes when talking on the telephone.
• Try not to be “chatty and talkative” in public.
• Maintain an appearance “that does not indicate Islamic orientation.”