EASA Takes Over Flight Crew Licensing in Europe

AINalerts » April 10, 2012
April 10, 2012, 4:05 PM

The EASA’s new regulations for pilot training and issuance of European pilot licenses, ratings and certificates took effect yesterday. In short, the move defragments the system, providing a single reference for European and national pilot licensing requirements, since EASA regulations–unlike those from its JAA predecessor–are binding for EU member states.

As of yesterday, JAR pilot licenses automatically became EASA Part-FCL (flight crew licensing) licenses, which do not expire. Medical limitations will no longer be recorded on licenses and will instead be noted on a pilot’s medical certificate, which will now also be issued by the EASA.

NBAA said most FAA-licensed pilots flying from the U.S. to Europe, or vice versa, “should not see major changes.” For example, NBAA noted, a pilot who is a resident of the U.S., holds a valid FAA pilot certificate/medical and is operating an aircraft based and registered in the U.S. can still operate in Europe without needing to obtain a new license or have his/her existing license validated.

However, “A pilot who resides in the EU but operates an aircraft registered outside the EU would be required to obtain an EASA license or EU validation based on the new rules,” NBAA said. “The same would be true for pilots flying for an EU corporation that operates non-EU-registered aircraft.”

Share this...

Please Register

In order to leave comments you will now need to be a registered user. This change in policy is to protect our site from an increased number of spam comments. Additionally, in the near future you will be able to better manage your AIN subscriptions via this registration system. If you already have an account, click here to log in. Otherwise, click here to register.