Proposed Noise-control Measures at Van Nuys Airport
• Incentives/disincentives in rental rates. Establish a set of incentives and disincentives through differential rental rates to encourage the greater use of quieter aircraft and less use of noisier aircraft at VNY. Rental rates for leases and tie-downs would correlate directly to the level of noise generated by the aircraft.
• Incentives/disincentives in landing fees. Establish a system of differential landing fees for aircraft using VNY, with higher fees for noisier aircraft and lower fees for quieter aircraft.
• Establish fines for violations of VNY noise-abatement policies. Establish a system of fines to be imposed on aircraft operators who violate VNY noise-abatement policies, thereby making the voluntary VNY Fly Friendly program mandatory.
• Establish maximum daytime noise limits. Establish a maximum daytime noise limit of 77 dBA for all aircraft operating at VNY.
• Establish a limit on Stage 3 jets. Establish a limit on the number of Stage 3 jets that can be based at VNY.
• Expansion of the VNY curfew. Amend the existing curfew ordinance to 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. for all non-emergency jets and helicopters.
• Establish a cap or phase-out of helicopters. Establish a cap on the number of helicopters at VNY or phase them out completely.