Get Replacement Pilot Certificates Immediately

 - October 3, 2007, 11:29 AM

U.S. airmen who misplace their certificates can get back into the air more quickly than in the past, thanks to a new FAA service. Replacement certificates and temporary authority to operate can be requested through an online account with the FAA Civil Aviation Registry Web site, This new option allows airmen to receive, by fax or e-mail, temporary authority to operate in the event a certificate has been lost or destroyed and they need to operate an aircraft immediately. “They are also able to request and pay for a replacement certificate online,” said Mark Lash, manager of the FAA Civil Aviation Registry. Current online services include renewal of reserved N-numbers, requesting copies of aircraft records and submitting a change of address.