A fire last month destroyed a hangar and the two Beech 1900D twin-turboprops inside at Central Nebraska Regional Airport in Grand Island, Neb. The hangar was leased by Cheyenne, Wyo.-based commuter airline Great Lakes Aviation. Construction of a new bifold hangar door was under way when the fire started. A preliminary report released by local fire officials blamed sparks from a cutting torch used earlier in the day during installation of the door. Officials speculate that sparks got into voids near the hangar roof and were fanned by the wind.
Beech 1900Ds Destroyed in Hangar Fire
- October 4, 2007, 5:23 AM