Final Report: Failure to go around cited in Beechjet overrun

 - December 19, 2007, 12:15 PM

RAYTHEON BEECH 400A, BALTIMORE, MD., MAY 1, 2002–Beechjet N498CW, a fractionally owned and operated airplane managed by Flight Options, was substantially damaged during a landing overrun at Baltimore-Washington International Airport. No injuries were reported. The NTSB blamed the captain’s failure to go around. Factors included his preoccupation with the FMS, the crew’s failure to adhere to company standard operating procedures and the lack of proper crew coordination. The NTSB also said the copilot should have taken control of the aircraft when the captain failed to go around.

The Part 91 flight was operated in VMC on an IFR flight plan. The captain, who was at the controls during the approach and landing, said he didn’t hear that they were cleared for the visual approach when the airplane was six miles from the airport. “The FMS locked up on me, so I was distracted,” he said. Both pilots were attempting to program the system simultaneously. The crew also missed numerous required callout and checklist items.

After the airplane was cleared to land, the first officer twice asked the captain, “You gonna be able to make it?” The captain did not respond, but 20 seconds later asked about the runway length, which the first officer gave him. The first officer then said the airplane was Vref plus 40, and twice said, “There’s no way.” He then said twice, “Go around.” The airplane crossed the threshold at about 150 feet agl and 166 knots, and the captain landed.

The first officer said he didn’t know how far down the runway it touched down. (He said that “maybe 50 to 60 percent of the runway remained.”) The airplane departed the end of the runway, and the captain “just tried to keep it straight.” The airplane went through barriers and light poles, over an embankment, and down a slope, stopping at the bottom of the slope.

During the pre-takeoff system checks, the captain said the brake’s antiskid feature initially did not test properly, “then there was a delay in the responses on the second test, but it worked satisfactorily.”