Dubai Air Show

Jetex applies for regional AOC

 - December 7, 2006, 9:27 AM

Flight planning and VIP air charter service provider Jetex Flight Support is applying for an air operator’s certificate (AOC) from Dubai’s General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA). The local company so far operates six aircraft, all based in Bucharest, Romania. Jetex started operations in April this year.

“We have one Boeing 727, one DC-8, one Dassault Falcon 900B and three BAC 111s,” said Khaled Al Najjar, customer service executive. Jetex is considering adding a small cabin jet. “We are now applying for an AOC to base two aircraft here,” Al Najjar said.

Approximately 45 percent of the activity is charter, the remaining 55 percent being flight support handling, fuel, clearances, weather forecasts and flight planning. In addition to Dubai and Bucharest, Jetex has employees based in Beirut, Lebanon; Bamako, Mali; Dakar, Senegal; Algiers, Algeria and Bujumbura, Burundi. “We are planning on opening a full FBO in the Middle East soon,” Al Najjar added.

Jetex is currently staffed with 45 people here in Dubai and another 25 at the foreign bases. Five more flight dispatchers should be hired in the coming months. The company is a joint venture between investors from the United Arab Emirates and New Zealand.